Thursday, April 17, 2008

What Does God Long For?

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings but you wouldn't let me. And now, look, your house is abandoned and desolate.
Matthew 23:37-38

I have been wondering what God is longing for since my last post and this verse keeps coming to my mind. How many times has He tried to show me His love and I have rejected Him? What other things does He want for His children that we are ignoring? That we won't let Him give us?

Good, scary things.

Oh Father, let us fear you in a healthy way. Not in a selfish way. May we trust you enough to let you love us!

5 comments:

Andresa said...

Amen Sister!! About 2 years ago, Erik and I went on a anniversary trip to Bandon, with no kids...anyway, we went to Bandon Christian Fellowship, and I remember the pastor saying something to the effect of: We live in as much victory and see as much power of God in our lives, as we believe possible. To me, it's a faith issue....DO we really believe He (just like you say) loves us...and if we really do believe that, and we really do believe that "He is more than able", why do we doubt when it comes to our own lives.. I always pray what the father prayed regarding his son...I believe Lord help my unbelief.

michel saunders said...

That is my prayer too! I don't want to be blinded from what the LORD has for me because of my own unbelief. LORD shed some light on it for me!:) Julene

Tawny said...

I completely agree with you guys that our main problem is unbelief. I think our other problem is fear. Fear that God will ask too much of us or not provide for us or not meet our needs. That He doesn't really care about us individually. Those are all fears I have struggled with and talked to other people about.

Anonymous said...

Oh Father, let us fear you in a healthy way. Not in a selfish way. May we trust you enough to let you love us!

I especially love the last line of this prayer. How often do we push Him away, deny His love. It's bad enough when we don't love Him, but when we don't allow Him to love us...

Tawny said...

I liked your comment Theresa, and I think it is through letting Him love us that our love for Him grows!