Thursday, May 21, 2009

Strange Stories

So, I finished reading Ezra this morning. It was really interesting after studying Esther. There were some of the same characters in the story. I noticed I had previously underlined only one verse in the whole book and it was 9:3, When I heard this, I tore my cloak and my shirt, pulled hair from my head and beard, and sat down utterly shocked. He had just heard that the priest and leaders had led the way in the people marrying the pagans around them. I can't remember why I underlined that. I think I was shocked that Ezra was so shocked? Was he that innocent? He must have been. It seems like from then til now more people were sinning than not. Priests and leaders included. It would be nice to have that kind of innocent faith, but I know I can't, because I would be one of the people who had to repent for sinning. It was also interesting that their solution was to divorce the pagen wives (What about husbands?) and send them and the children away. This story does make me wonder if maybe I have become a little too accepting of sin? Hmm...something to pray about.

Thoughts, anyone?

4 comments:

Whitney said...

I think that is interesting too. However I will say that no matter how much persecution I face, as a woman, as a Christian, it still surprises me when I encounter it. I know that I hope that people will treat me with respect for my beliefs because I do the same for them. But it still hurts when they don't. (And usually they don't) I don't think its becoming too comfortable with sin, I think its just the realization of life without the Lord. "No one does anything good, not even one person." Romans 3:12. Its hard to be shocked by sin when you really understand that truth. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is hard to undertand some of the cultural things in the O.T. To us it seems wrong to divorce the wives and the children, but I guess in the O.T. maybe the holiness of Israel outweighed all else? I don't know.

Also, Ezra's advantage maybe have been that he had the Holy Spirit in him in a time when not everyone got that privilege. He had the advantage of God's power within him to make him more holy.

Just my thoughts! Hope you have a blessed day! Jenny

Unknown said...

I don't really know, but I think it was a human solution to the sin. I don't think God would have asked them to do that because love is the highest law. It is my understanding that they ran into the problem of polygamy in the early church (slightly different problem, I know) but the solution was if you were married to stay married, but if not, to only choose one wife. You always have such interesting questions. :)
~Cyndi

Tawny said...

Thanks for your comments, guys. I haven't been on the computer as much lately, so I haven't got back to you. I do love all the mystery God placed in the Word and in the World.