Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Wondering...

2 Chron 16:12 In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians.

This verse has intrigued me for years. In my mind, I thought the Bible said that God was angry with Asa for not seeking Him, but I couldn't find it when I was looking this time. I must have assumed that.

Check out 2 Chron 15:17: Although he did not remove the high places from Israel, Asa's heart was fully committed to the LORD all his life.

I think Asa's life is a good example of loving God but not having all that we could have in Him.

Why wouldn't the King remove the high places? Why didn't he consult the Lord about his feet?

We had such a neat conversation about Job, I wanted to see what you guys thought about King Asa. :)

4 comments:

Andresa said...

If you read right before Asa's illness, Hanani had sharply rebuked Asa because he relied on the king of Syria, rather than the Lord...2 Chronicles 16:7-10....my favorite verse in there being "For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him..." "In this you (ASA) have done foolishly..."
I think Asa relied on God...saw all the victory in his life...all the blessing in his life...and somehow, somewhere, got comfortable. Earlier, Azariah told him that "if you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you"...with the treaty with the king of Syria...he was no longer seeking the Lord...thus the malady, I think he was bitter perhaps, and that is why the refusal to call out to the Lord. Pride and Bitterness...bites us in the rear every time!!

Darla said...

I know I've got something written in my journal from Beth Moore about this when we did Breaking Free I think. I'll try to remember and look it up. It was really good whatever it was!

Tawny said...

Andresa, thank you for your comment, I loved it!

Darla, did you find what you where thinking about?

I suppose Asa still did good, there isn't a much better statement than our hearts being committed for all of our lives. I just so don't want to miss out on anything good God has planned for me. But I wonder if I am already? Hmm...definately something to think about.

Darla said...

I looked thru some notes last night but I think I was thinking of something else. Sorry!

But on a personal level, I can relate to Asa. I love the Lord and I serve Him but I still have a "high place" that needs to come down that hasn't. And maybe Asa struggled with believing in healing like some of us do at times. Perhaps he's more like us than we care to admit.