Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How is this possible?

Yay! It is December 1st! I am excited about the holidays this year.

So, I was reading 1 John this morning and got so much good stuff out of it. I may have blogged about this verse before because it shocks me every time I read it:

1 John 4:12 No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us.

Full expression??? Really Lord? That just scares me to death.

I can barely grasp Him loving me, and then to think I am supposed to love others like that too? Scary, scary!

I will do a little more research on this verse and share it with you if I find anything interesting. :)

**Update**

So, most of the other translations say, "His love is perfected in us" or "His love is made complete in us". Not nearly as scary to me. That sounds like something that could happen that no one else would notice. Which, is not realistic at all. If we knew someone who had let God have His way in them, so much that they had a complete/perfected love for other people, we would notice. I think what impacts me the most about all of this is God's desire to be seen in us. So much responsibility! So far to go...

3 comments:

Jodi Hughes said...

Hi! Thank you for mentioning “Same Kind of Different as Me” in your list of favorite books. I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this exciting book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book “What Difference Do It Make?” which updates readers on their activity since the last book came out. Please contact me if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site.

Thanks!

Jodi Hughes
pubintern@thomasnelson.com

Andresa said...

"full expression in us" that right there is our calling...I don't care who you are what else you do in the Lord...what giftings you may have....us expressing His love fully is our basic fundamental call. Thank God for love, thank God for showing us love, thank God for reminding us to love....thank God he "lovingly" reminds us to love when we don't feel like it at some particular moment in our lives. You know what I like about love being our basic calling....it gives us an excuse to step out in faith and show God's love to anybody...perfect strangers...long lasting friendships...new friends....we just always get to be a "Dork for God" (it makes me think of the quote: smile, it confuses people.) and show love!! WAHOO!!!!

Tawny said...

What a wonderful comment Andresa! Thank you! I do need to find all this more exciting and less overwhelming!