Wednesday, October 29, 2008

God is in Control

When the day arrived, Herod put on his royal robes, sat on his throne, and made a speech to them. The people gave him a great ovation, shouting, "It is the voice of a god, not of a man!" Instantly, an angel of the Lord struck Herod with a sickness, because he accepted the people's worship instead of giving the glory to God. So he was consumed with worms and died. Acts 12:21-23

I don't read Acts very often. I don't know why, I find the early church fascinating. I am reading Acts to study them again, actually. I long for the adventure with God, the openness to His work, the purity of their love and fellowship. Well, maybe it wasn't all that pure, they were humans. It did seem deeper and more real, though.

Anyway, I had forgotten this story. Is it really that easy for us to worship another person? Not in a subtle "I didn't really realize I was living for you, instead of God way" but in a "I am so impressed by your glorious humanity, I am going to actually call you a god!" way. Would we do that now? SCAREY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is so possible, in America, I think they are called "American idol". The difference is - we don't use the word god in our culture unless you are religious and know the true God.
A good example would probably be 'fan clubs'

Anonymous said...

I think we call some of them pastors... (did I just say that?)

Any time we follow someone for who they are or what we perceive they are - we make them an idol because we put them before God.

Tawny said...

Julene, I think that is part of the reason that scene in the Bible seemed so weird to me, is because they used the word "god". That doesn't seem like a word you should just throw around.

But you and Tony are right, it is not what we say, it is what we do. What motivates us, who we serve, what/who we put our hope in to save us. Not just our souls but our situations. I think God is teaching His people that right now.

mandy said...

Whew.

My bible study recently finished a prayer/study by Priscilla Shirer... Part of what she addressed regarding Christian Celebrities. We had one heck of a converation about that. wow... It's so real... And so prevalent in our society.