Sunday, October 26, 2008

Adventures in Prayer

The first time I started hankering for Starbucks, I was surprised where it led. I started thanking God. For all kinds of stuff that I usually take for granted. I never imagined that denial could lead so quickly to thankfulness. To feelings of quiet gratitude. It seems this is part of God changing my heart; from an anxious, frustrated heart to a thankful, quiet heart. It is unusual for me to recognize when transformation is taking place. I usually can't tell until it has been different for a while. Of course, this could be an forty year process, I don't always learn very fast.

All this to say, I guess I am not going to have any grand plans for my prayers, I will just take this prayer adventure one hankering at a time, and see where He leads me!

PS. Hot chocolate must be off limits too because the hot chocolate I had instead of coffee made me feel like I was going to throw up. And my daughter accidently broke my french press, so I am trying not to think that means anything. Other than I have to go out today and scour the town for a new one, of course. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

let me know if you find one because I broke mine too!!! Here is a verse I came across that goes along with averting the eyes at the coffee shops - HEE HEE
Ps. 119:37 "Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way."

Tawny said...

Hey, I did find on at Ross for 13.99$. Yay! The only bad thing about your verse is I am not convinced coffee is a bad thing. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean coffee is a bad thing, but if you have made a commitment to not drink sugary expensive coffees for 3 weeks, then having your eyes sit longingly on the coffee shops can be a bad thing:) Not that you are doing that - just know my own demons.

Anonymous said...

I am sure I will be doing that soon, it hasn't even been a week yet. :)

Anonymous said...

What you originally wrote here Tawny reminded me of when I was on Weigh Down years ago. When I actually was practicing her eat when you are hungry thing...I remember when I was feeling empty but not enough to eat yet, feeling very full of God. Why can't I trust Him again to get to that place more often?? I don't think I've ever totally recaptured that feeling since. How sad.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this Tawny, your reflection on God growing gratitude in your heart and thankfulness for the little blessings like coffees from Starbucks - I relate to that bit too :)