Friday, April 15, 2011

Can we worship without emotions?

So, I am reading a book by a "spiritual director" and he says something I find very disturbing.

He writes, "Am I supposed to have the same emotional feelings for a God I cannot see that I have for my closest friend? Even on my best of days, that doesn't seem possible."

What?????? Aren't we supposed to be WORSHIPING Jesus? Wouldn't worship be a stronger emotion than friendship?? Wouldn't worship include friendship, (since Jesus says we are His friends) but at the same time transcend friendship to something we can only truly have with one person?

I will do things for Jesus that I would not do for my husband or my kids or my best friends. Why? Well, because first of all, He is never wrong, He is never selfish and I want to please Him more than I want to please anyone else, even myself, (on my good days). Sometimes what the people around me want aren't good things, and sometimes, I would selfishly rather please myself than please them. Shouldn't worship motivate us in a way that friendship or marriage or parenthood would fail to do? Isn't worship the strongest emotional feeling we can have for anyone or anything? Isn't that part of what makes it worship?

There are times I don't have many feelings for God but those are usually times I don't have any good feelings about anyone else or anything else either. I am usually feeling sorry for myself, or exhausted or hungry or worn out or feeling defeated. In those moments, I would not say I am worshiping God either. I would say I have lost sight of Him and am completely focused on myself.

I am so glad God is emotional and created us to have emotions for Him as well!

I don't think I am going to finish this book.

2 comments:

pauline said...

sounds like that book needs to go in the garbage! Pauline

tawny said...

It's in the recycle bin! :)